The cayenne pepper is the fruit of the plants from the genus capsicum. Cayenne peppers are members of the family Solanaceae and are related to tomatoes, cherries and are planted all over the world because they are used as spices in cuisines or as medicine. Cayenne pepper is a healthy food that contains antimicrobial properties. It is called shombo in Yoruba. It’s one of the ingredients used in preparing Nigeria foods e.g. Stew, Ogbono soup, Banga soup, Efo riro, or efo elegusi.
The active chemical in chili pepper is called capsaicinoid which helps to get rid of heat fatigue in hot weather and enhances the digestive process. It’s made up of antioxidants compounds and has its natural color. Cayenne pepper is very common in Western Nigeria, Yoruba called it “shombo”. It is known for its hot and burning flavor that can be cooked dried and powered. It’s available in the market all through the year. Cayenne pepper can be in fresh, dried, or in powdered form.
Health Benefits of Cayenne Pepper
- It cures Inflammation diseases. Cayenne pepper is good for inflammation diseases. Capsaicin present in the pepper is effective against arthritis, psoriasis, and diabetes.
- Cayenne pepper boost fertility. It improves activities in the bloodstream thereby blood flows to every organ in the body including reproductive organs. Cayenne pepper boosts the production testosterone which improves men libido. It also contains folic acid which is valuable for women of reproductive age.
- Treat nose and lung diseases. Cayenne pepper cures illness that may affect the nose and lungs. It clear mucus from the stuffed nose and heal common cold faster.
- It’s good for cancer treatment. Cayenne pepper contains vitamins A, E, and C that serve as antioxidants that help to fight cancer. Also, cayenne pepper stops the spread of cancer cells. It is used in treating prostate cancer.
- Cayenne pepper helps to boost the body’s immune system. Cayenne pepper is a natural immune system booster because the red colour contains a high concentration of vitamin A and beta –carotene. This vitamin is called anti-inflammation vitamins.
- Cayenne pepper helps in weight loss. Obesity can increase the risk of many chronic diseases such as heart disease. Capsaicin present in cayenne pepper can promote weight loss by reducing appetite and increase fat burning.
- It improves digestive health and metabolism. The cayenne contributes to healthy gut and anti-irritant to your stomach and its treat stomach ulcer.
- Promotes Red blood cell growth. Cayenne pepper helps in the formation of new blood cells. This is because it’s rich in copper and iron thereby able to treat anemia and fatigue.
When next you are trying to prepare a meal considering adding cayenne pepper because of its amazing benefits.