This article talks about the ingredients, recipes and methods of producing a tiger-nut drink
The Ingredients of Tiger-Nut Drink are:
1. Tiger nut
3. Date fruit
5. Honey (optional)
Tiger nut (Cyperus esculentus) is rich in nutrients. Tiger nuts contain a variety of nutrients and beneficial plant compounds.
Some of the nutritional benefits are improvement of digestion, reduction of blood sugar levels, improvement of heart health, boosting the immune system and helping fight infections, etc (healthline).
Coconut is rich in manganese, which is essential for bone health and the metabolism of carbohydrates, cholesterol, and proteins. It is also rich in copper and iron, which help in the formation of red blood cells. It also contains selenium which is an important antioxidant that protects your cells (healthline).
Date fruit is very Nutritious. It is high in fiber and disease-fighting antioxidants such as flavonoids, carotenoids, and phenolic acid. Date fruit can promote brain health and natural labor of pregnant women. It is an excellent natural sweetener.
Ginger is perfect for aiding digestion, reducing nausea, and helping fight the flu and common cold, etc. Research has also shown that ginger is good for enhancing weight loss. It is also good at reducing joint pains, reduction of blood sugar levels and improving heart health, etc (healthline).
Tiger-Nut Drink Preparation and Production Process
- Wash the tiger-nut thoroughly to avoid sand or dirty particles and soak it in the water for 3hrs or a day.
Peel off the ginger and wash thoroughly.
- Remove the seed of the date fruits and wash it and wash thoroughly.
- Break the coconut, remove it from the shell and cut it into pieces. Soak it for two hours or more.
- Blend the tiger-nut, coconut, date and ginger together to a smooth slurry form.
- Turn in a big container. If you wish, you can add a little quantity of water (depending on the quantity you are making) and mix it well.
- Pour the mixture inside a sieve/filter such as the one used for sieving ogi eko (palp) in Nigeria. Squeeze till all the milk is out from the chaff.
- Use the white cloth to filter it so there will be no particles or any form of chaff in your drink.
- If you have honey, you can add some teaspoons to it. This is optional as date contains natural sugar.
- Store in the freezer and served when cold.
- Enjoy your tiger-nut milk drink.